Wensleydale & Cranberry Cheese Scones with Orange Cream
prep: 25 mins ? cook: 10-15 mins
- 25g butter
- 200g self raising flour, sifted
- 50g Ilchester Wensleydale & Cranberry Cheese, grated + extra for topping
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 100ml milk
- 1 egg yolk
For the orange cream:
- 100ml double cream, lightly whipped
- 1 orange, peeled & sliced then cut into pieces
- Orange Liqueur, to taste, (optional)
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
How to make
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/ Gas Mark 6. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the Wensleydale & Cranberry cheese and cinnamon powder. Gradually add the milk stirring with a knife until the mixture begins to stick. With your hand, knead the mixture until a smooth dough is formed.
- Flatten or roll the dough about 3cm thick. Use a 6cm round cutter to cut out individual scones. Place the scones on the baking parchment. Add 1tbsp cold water to the egg yolk and brush the tops of the scones.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, mix the cream, orange pieces, juice, liqueur (if using) and icing sugar together.
- Remove the scones from the oven and allow to cool before serving with the orange cream