Hot & Spicy Mexicana? Hash Browns
makes 5-6 hash browns
prep: 15 mins ? cook: 6 mins
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 50g Mexicana? Extra Hot, grated
- ? tsp salt
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Oil for shallow frying
How to make
- Coarsely grate the potatoes and onion. Scoop up some of the grated mixture and over the sink squeeze out any excess moisture between your fingers. Put the squeezed potato and onion into a bowl and repeat with the remaining mixture. Alternatively, you can place the grated potato and onion into a clean tea towel and squeeze out the excess liquid by twisting the towel.
- Add the grated Mexicana?, salt, flour and beaten egg, season with pepper and mix well. The mixture needs to be fairly firm, so it holds it shape while frying; add a little more flour if required.
- Pour enough oil into a large frying pan to cover the base to a depth of 4-5mm, heat over a medium heat. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, drop spoonful’s of potato mixture Into the oil and flatten slightly to form patties about 1cm high. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Once cooked, transfer onto a plate with kitchen towel on it to remove the surplus oil before serving.